Blue Mountain Retreat is comprised of 29.33 acres on the scenic loop at the corner of Highway 166 and Blue Mountain Trail and is one of the most unique small properties in the Davis Mountains. Historically a pecan orchard with an excellent well, the home on the property has undergone a whole-house renovation to include all new electrical wiring, Kolbe casement wood-framed windows, and tile floors throughout. Today it is a fantastic home and retreat with stunning views of the grasslands/hills to the south and Blue Mountain to the north. Just 10 minutes to Fort Davis and 25 minutes to Marfa, this property is located in a mile-high setting, a short drive to all of the area’s growing amenities.
This estate is a unique combination of an orchard, with mature trees surrounding the home, and a private shaded patio by the pool, as well as yards, and porches designed around a two-bedroom/two-and-a-half bath custom home, redesigned and rebuilt by the current owners. The solar-powered electric gate and drive at the entrance is followed by the crushed asphalt meandering driveway into the beautifully landscaped retreat, offering extreme privacy yet convenience. The details are hard to list as they are extensive and, being adjacent to the area’s newest vineyard and winery, the future prospects are, well, limitless.
- 600 square feet with custom granite countertops.
- “T” Island with copper sink comfortably seats 6.
- Kenmore Elite appliances include a refrigerator with double doors, dishwasher, smooth-top cooktop with Brilla vented hood and double ovens, all electric.
- Built-in clear ice icemaker.
- All wood cabinetry with soft-close doors and drawers with huge amounts of storage.
- Large kitchen/dining area which currently seats an additional 8 people.
- All new hardware, electric and lighting, with massive wood ceiling beam for support.
- Two 8’x6’ windows with excellent long views into the orchard and yard.
- 14-foot ceilings, truly an entertainment kitchen and the center of the home.
- Translucent shades allow views but prevent glare.
- Huge room adjacent to kitchen with deep laundry sink.
- Whirlpool Duet front-loading washer and dryer.
- Built-in beverage center with magnetic chalkboard.
- Matching cabinetry for additional storage with 42” wall cabinets and open shelving.
- Hot water heater exclusive to kitchen.
- Living Area
- Lennox EPA Phase II woodburning fireplace insert with optional blower.
- High ceiling windows with motorized shades for perfect lighting.
- Custom 8’ wrought iron front door and natural rock entryway.
- Master Bedroom/Bath
- Large 15’5” x 19’5” master on the first floor. (300 sf)
- Custom (11’ x 8’) walk-in closet with built-ins from Easy Closets.
- 8’ x 6’ window with magnificent views of Blue Mountain and Nine Mile Hill.
- Oversized tile shower with custom glass and dual shower panels.
- Electric radiant heat (programmable) in floor.
- Dual vanity with granite counter tops.
- Jetted tub.
- Separate private toilet area.
- Private access to outdoor porch and pool area.
- Guest Bedroom
- Upstairs private bedroom and sitting area.
- Custom ducted air-conditioning and heating.
- Blackout shades.
- Bathroom has full-size walk-in shower with vanity and toilet.
- Other Features
- Second hot water heater for the two bathrooms.
- Kolbe wooden frame custom windows throughout the home.
- Built-in Sonance ceiling speakers in kitchen, living room, master bath, and master bedroom.
- Outdoor speaker system.
- American Standard 16 SEER 5-ton heating and cooling system with accessory HEPA filter which removes 99% of contaminants.
- Duct work in place to expand living room into outdoor patio and fireplace as a great room.
- All new tile floors throughout the home.
- Sunroom off kitchen with removable plexi-glass panels leading to covered patio and pool.
- New septic system.
- Gray water storage tank.
- Roadside mail delivery.
- High-speed internet service available.
- Saltwater inground pool with diving board.
- 300 linear foot split-faced block wall averaging over 8 feet tall, creating a very private pool and patio area next to the house.
- Walled patio has two pedestrian gates plus a large service gate for future improvements.
- Custom steel elevated roof over patio between the house and the pool, providing a huge protected outdoor BBQ entertainment area.
- Two electric garage doors. (18’ x 8’ and 8’ x 8’)
- Rock-walled yard with huge shade trees and many native plants.
- Approximately 15-acre pecan orchard with very productive well which also serves the house. This is deep soil that could be diversified into a combination of fruit and nut trees, as well as a vineyard.
- Small storage shed for lawn and orchard equipment.
This Scenic Loop property is dominated by mile high grasslands of Cane Bluestem, Blue Gramma, and Sideoats Gramma typical vegetation of high elevation desert mountains. Cool nights, warm days and the first of the desert monsoonal rainfalls make the mesa a lush green paradise in the spring and throughout the summer. The pecan orchard and other trees and landscaping provide habitat for an array of birds and mammals. Grassland to the east has been mowed for a 3-hole “pasture golf” course. This property has lots of room and habitat for people as well as native wildlife.
Wildlife in the Davis Mountains is abundant. Big mule deer, white-tail, and smaller animals and bird species such as javelina, fox, ringtail cat, and the unusual Montezuma quail abound in the mountains. Hummingbirds and migrant songbirds fly through the area on semi-annual migrations and are attracted to the extensive plant gardens in the courtyard and around the property, making this a birding paradise. Trees, brush and grasses provide excellent habitat for these game and non-game species. Surrounded by nature, one can pursue activities like photography, astronomy, hiking, painting, or meditation by simply walking out the door.